Washington Marijuana Licensing

Interested in starting a Cannabis business in Washington?

Related Pages:
Washington Marijuana Producer License >
Washington Marijuana Distribution License >
Washington Marijuana Manufacturing License >
Washington Marijuana Cooperative License >
Washington Marijuana Research License >

What License Types Exist in Washington?

Washington issues cannabis licenses for cannabis producers, processors, transporters, retailers, researchers, cooperatives, and testing laboratories. The state's cannabis licenses are issued by the Washington Liquor and Cannabis Board (WLCB).

Producer License

This is Washington’s cannabis grower/cultivator license. It permits the licensee to produce, harvest, trim, cure, dry, and package cannabis into lots for sale to licensed cannabis processors and other cannabis producer licensees. The Washington cannabis producer license also authorizes the licensee to produce and sell:

  • Cannabis seeds, plants, and plant tissue cultures to licensed cannabis producers
  • Immature cannabis plants and cannabis seeds to licensed cannabis researchers, qualifying medical marijuana patients, and members of registered cooperatives.

Washington's cannabis producer licenses are separated into three categories, each with specific maximum square footage of field on which cannabis cultivation may be conducted:

  • Tier 1 - up to a 2,000-square feet area
  • Tier 2 - up to a 10,000-square feet area
  • Tier 3 - up to a 30,000-square feet area

Processor License

The Washington cannabis processor license authorizes the licensee to process, cure, dry, package, and label cannabis concentrates, usable cannabis, and cannabis-infused products for sale at wholesale to cannabis retailers and other cannabis processors.

Transporter License

The cannabis transporter license allows the licensee to physically deliver or transport cannabis, cannabis-infused products, and cannabis concentrates between licensed cannabis establishments within Washington State.

Retailer License

This license permits the licensee to sell only usable cannabis, cannabis paraphernalia, cannabis-infused products, cannabis concentrates, and lockable boxes to store marijuana in retail outlets to anyone aged 21 and older. Holders of this license may choose to apply for a Medical Endorsement too. This authorizes them to sell or freely give cannabis to qualifying patients and their designated caregivers.

Research License

The Washington cannabis research license authorizes the licensee to possess, process, and produce cannabis for the limited research purposes outlined in Section 69.50.372 of the Revised Code of Washington.

Cooperative License

A Washington cooperative license or registration is issued to a cooperative formed by qualifying medical cannabis patients or designated providers in order to share responsibility for growing and processing marijuana. However, the growing and processing of marijuana may only be for the medical use of the cooperative members.

Testing Laboratory Certification

Washington's Liquor and Cannabis Board issues approval for laboratories to test marijuana and marijuana products in the state to ensure that they meet the required quality standards and that they are appropriately labeled.

In this section:
Washington Marijuana Licensing